How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how can I file my taxes if I have not worked this past year

Resolved Question:

No Comment Added
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 9 years ago.

Dear jstr,

Did you have any kind of income at all?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Ed Johnson's Post: No, I have been living off of my savings and have had no income since december 06.I took a year off to travel.
I am currently in process of renuewing my green card.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Ed Johnson's Post: what's the answer?
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 9 years ago.

Dearl jstr,

Thanks for the additional information. I apologize for not getting back sooner, but I got called away to a conference call.

I understand.

If your savings produced interest, you would file a return to report interest. Likely you would owe no tax.

I understand the need for permanent residents (green card holders) to show continuity for compliance with income tax filing;

So what you can do is file an information return, and include zero income; or if you have interest, no matter how little, report that.

Ed Johnson and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you