Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

I am a resident of Oregon but I am active Military in ...

I am a resident of Oregon but I am active Military in Hawaii. I am benificiary of money from my grand mother who passed away. What taxes if any do I need to Pay to Oregon?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

For a recipient of the inheritance - does not need to claim it as income. Please see for reference IRS publication 525 page 30 -

Only if the inherited money were in tax deferred account - such as IRA, 401k, etc - and you are taking distribution from that account - the distributed amount will be your taxable income.

Oregon inheritance tax is levied on the value of the assets of the decedent. For 2007 an estate with a gross value of $1,000,000 or more should file an estate tax return. The unified credit amount is $345,800. - see also -