How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Lev Your Own Question

Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 25579
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Depreciation of Capital Improvements

Customer Reply

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I've explored the IRS Site and Pub 946 but have not found how to depreciate improvements made to my res. rental property. While improvements are generally depreciated over 27.5 years, what does it apply to? I mean, I can see an addition carrying 27.5 years...but what about improvements made within the existing structure?

For example, I've completely renovated the kitchen: new cabinets (which, if considered furniture, would carry a 5-year recovery period); new appliances (7 years); new flooring (7 years), etc. Would the entire kitchen be a category (and would it fit the 27.5 years "improvement" life?)...or do I need to have a depreciation schedule for each individual improvement within the kitchen? And I haven't even mentioned all the "other" stuff that goes into renovating a kitchen such as permits, design,demolition, painting, etc.

For that matter, I also finished the basement: new drywall, carpeting, bathroom, new staircase, etc. Should this be broken into components, too?

Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

Replacements of roof, rain gutters, windows, and furnace on a residential rental property are capital improvements to the structure because they materially add to the value of your property or substantially prolong its life. The items would be in the same class of property as the rental property to which they are attached. Since the property is residential rental property, the items are generally depreciated over a recovery period of 27.5 years using the straight line method of depreciation and a mid-month convention.

New cabinets that are attached to the structure are not considered as furniture. Cabinets and structural components such as furnaces, water pipes, venting, drywall, bathroom, new staircase, etc. - are depreciated over 27.5 years.

Appliances that are not structural components, such as: Stoves, Refrigerators in rental property are depreciated over 5 years. Carpets are also depreciated over 5 years.

Please also see for reference IRS publication 527 -

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok, it sounds like most of the improvements can be grouped together and depreciated over 27.5 years, correct?

...and what about the design and permit costs?

...and would the gutting and hauling debris costs be part of the improvement costs?
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

If these improvement expenses are related to changing structural components - yes - they should be added together and depreciated over 27.5 years.

If some expenses are related to not-structural components (carpet, etc) - should be added together and depreciated over the life of that component.

If some expenses are related to repair (painting, etc) - should be added together deducted in the year paid.

If some expenses are related to several types of improvements/repair (design and permit costs, cleaning, hauling debris, etc) - such expenses should be prorated to each type.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Wendy Reed's Avatar

    Wendy Reed

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • MequonCPA's Avatar


    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience