Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses

how much tax will i have to pay on my inheritance

Customer Question

My husband''s mother just died and he is due to inherit $50k-90k aprox. I need to know if that counts as "income" and how much we will need to keep set aside for the IRS if so. Thanks
Category: Tax
Expert:  Anne replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for using justanswer.The trustee or executor will have paid the federal and any state/local estate taxes, if any, as part of the administration process. So the bulk of the estate (inheritance) that you receive will be tax free to you.

If, during the time between the date of death and the time you received the inheritance, the estate earned interest/dividends, etc, then you will receive a K1 reporting form showing your share of that income between those 2 time frames. Normally, this is not alot of money, and is certainly significantly less than the inheritance itself. If there was no interest/dividends, etc earned, then there will be no money to report. (Normally though, people have the money invested in some type of money making account. You will want to check with the administrator to see if there will be any K1's issued)

This is a direct quote from IRS Publication 950 (8/2007), Introduction to Estate and Gift Taxes

No tax payable by the person receiving your gift or estate. The person who receives your gift or your estate will not have to pay any federal gift tax or estate tax because of it. Also, that person will not have to pay income tax on the value of the gift or inheritance received.

I hope this helps

Positive feedback and bonuses are always appreciated

Expert:  Anne replied 8 years ago.

Thank you again for using justanswer. It is important to myself and the other tax experts that you find our service to be helpful. If you have, please hit the "accept" button, as it is the only way we get paid.

If you have not found our service to be helpful, please let me know how I can remedy that, as the goal is for you to be satisified