Mic, Business Owner
Experience:  Business owner, take care of all legal issues and tax work

Customer Question

Ballys total fitness says I signed a contract for two years when I know it was one for only one year. When I cancelled my membership they tried to charge me for 750.00 dollars and since I never payed it they sent it to collections, now there calling me and it shot my credit score way down. Is there nothing I can do now other then just pay it? I deinfintley dont have 750.00 dollars to put up all at once. Any advice? Shouldnt Ballys have to produce the contract they say I supposedly signed?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mic replied 8 years ago.
Hello lauriep,

this exact same thing happened to my brother. He had a copy of his contract and on it they had a statment that said that they could automatically renew the contract at the end of the first year and each subsequent year unless he cancelled the contract prior to the anniversary date.

If you do not have a copy of your contract, you can request a copy of it from them...if they have turned it over to collections, you can request that they give you a copy of the signed contract. Eventually they will take you to court to collect and if you are not made aware of the court date (as this happens often) then they will get a defaul judgment against you for the $750.00 plus court cost and possible collections cost.

So you have to decide whether it is worth the $750. to fight them or not.

I hope this helps.