Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.

I work in Maryland BUT live in Delware. I found out today ...

I work in Maryland BUT live in Delware. I found out today that my company that I work for has never taken Maryland nor Delaware state taxes out of my check, which we get paid every other week. What do I need to do? I file jointly with my husband.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 8 years ago.

Hi there, unfortunately Delaware and Maryland do not have a reciprocal agreement for tax payment.

This means that you will need to file a non-resident return for Maryland (you can file jointly) and report your earnings on your Delaware resident return.

Your employer should have withheld Maryland state tax (not county tax).

You will need to pay tax to MD on your earnings, and you will be allowed a credit for taxes imposed by another jurisdiction on your Delaware return.

See the DE website which will explain this situation, scroll down to DELAWARE RESIDENT WORKING OUT OF STATE

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Wendy Rieger's Post: My question is what can I do about the taxes that wasn't taken out for Maryland and should I contact someone in Maryland to find out if I need to pay the taxes that should have been taken out in the first place by my employer??

Dear Worried,

You will need to file a Maryland non-resident return to report your MD income. You most likely will have a balance due to pay to MD. If you are still working for this company, you should advise your employer to begin withholding MD state tax immediately.