How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guru_Guy Your Own Question
Guru_Guy, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2418
Experience:  I am a lawyer who understands tax law and finance.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Guru_Guy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 76 years old and I will be receiving money from ...

Resolved Question:

I am 76 years old and I will be receiving money from the sale of family farm. I have depended upon rent from the land for several years....approximately 17,000 a year. Now, after taxes I will have 330,000 approximately. How would you invest this to have an income each year for the rest of my life?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Guru_Guy replied 8 years ago.

Given your age and the fact that you will be living off this money, it sounds like you want to go with a very safe and secure investment.

Stocks usually give a much better return over time than bonds or CDs. However, stocks always carry the risk of loss if prices go down. The conventional wisdom is that if you are investing for ten or twelve years down the road, stocks will do much better over time. But short term volatility makes them a poor investment for shorter term goals.

It sounds to me like you need a secure investment as your spending needs are probably going to be much shorter term.

The problem with safer investments, of course, is that they offer a lower return. For example, if you bough 1 year treasury bonds, you would get a return of only 3.17%, or an annual return of $10,461 each year on an investment of $330,000.

The best short term option I know of right now is a money market account with Countrywide financial, which offers an annualized yield of 5.3%. That would give you interest of $17,490 over a year. However, money market rates can go up or down, so if interest rates continue to fall, you might not make quite that much.

Also, money market accounts are FDIC insured up to $100,000. This means that if the bank failed, that is the maximum amount the government would give back to you. Therefore, I would not recommend putting more than $100,000 into a money market.

You could also consider CDs. These have the advantage of maintaining their interest rate for the full term of the CD, but because most investors think rates will continue to fall, most CD's pay a lower interest rate than the best money markets. Countrywide also has the best CD rates in the country, a 3 month CD at a 5.5% yield. But again, you don't want to put more than 100,000 with one bank.

IndyMac Bank has a 3 month CD that offers 5.4% yield, so that might be a good option for you as well. If you go with a 1 year CD, you get a rate locked in for that long, but you probably won't due better than a 5% yield.

My recommendation for someone in your position would be to spread around the money to about four different banks, to make sure each account is under the $100,000 level Put part of the money into higher yielding money markets and part into CDs that offer the best yield. This will give you a safe return and fast access to your money should you need it.

Although your return may be a little less than the $17,000 or so you were receiving before, you have the benefit of access to the money and no worries about loss of capital. Even if you spend some capital each year, you should be fine for the rest of your life.

For example, if you withdrew $24,000 per year and were making 5% interest on your savings, your principle would not run out until a little over 23 years from now, when you would be age 100. If you took out only $20,000 per year, or about $3000 more than you get now, your principle would last for almost 35 years, probably well beyond your needs (sorry, but living beyond 112 years old is probably too much of an ambitious goal).

If you want to do more searches for very good investment rates on money markets and CDs, I recommend this site:

I hope this helps!
Guru_Guy, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2418
Experience: I am a lawyer who understands tax law and finance.
Guru_Guy and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience