Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.

Im a military spouse that is now seperated from my

I''m a military spouse that is now seperated from my husband. I want to now file seperately but am curious if I still get the tax exemption?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 8 years ago.

You may file separately, and take your own personal tax exemption ($3400) on your tax return.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'm not sure if I worded that correctly. I was under the assumption that I would be exempt from paying federal taxes sue to my husband being in the military. But would I have to file with him to get that exeption

Although there are some tax benefits of being a member of the military, not having to pay any federal taxes is generally not one of them. Combat pay is generally tax free, but regular earnings are not, and your own earnings would not be tax free just because you are a military spouse.

You may be interested in the following information:,,id=120507,00.html,,id=97273,00.html