RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..

I lost $20000 when a morgage company I had invested in went ...

I lost $20000 when a morgage company I had invested in went bankrupt. I do not have any capital gains. Can I deduct all any of this loss on my income tax. If yes how
Category: Tax
Expert:  RD replied 8 years ago.

This will be deductible as a capital loss. The maximum loss you can deduct in a year is $3,000($1,500 if married filing separately) against your other income. Balance loss will be carried forward and allowed in future.

Let me know if you have any question. Bonus and Feedback will be highly appreciated!!!

Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases. Nothing contained in this reply was intended or written to be used, can be used by any taxpayer, or may be relied upon or used by any taxpayer for the purposes of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.