RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..

Employee tax in two states

My business is in SC. We have an employee who lives in GA. Are we required to deduct and pay both SC and GA payroll taxes?
Do you have an office or a business location in GA? Is the employee working from home office?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No office or business location in GA. She frequently brings work home to finish, however our office is in Bath SC where she works. Of course, Georgia wants the tax money, and they want it tomorrow. So I really need advise today.

Since you do not have any business presence in GA, you are not required to register for employment in GA and deduct payroll taxes and pay to the State. You may do so to accomodate your employee.

Your employee, however, is required to make arrangements to pay the State tax in GA.

Let me know if you have any question. Bonus and Feedback will be highly appreciated!!!

Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases. Nothing contained in this reply was intended or written to be used, can be used by any taxpayer, or may be relied upon or used by any taxpayer for the purposes of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.