Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

I am receiving a portion of my mothers ...

I am receiving a portion of my mother''s pension (she is deceased, I''m 61) She worked for the Detroit Board of Education and they sent me a notice saying that this pension is exempt from state tax in Michingan where she lived but I live in Arizona. Is this pension exempt here from state tax too? Also I get my husband''s pension from General Motors. That wouldn''t be exempt from state tax would it? I don''t work. Both are over a little more than $500.00 a month each.

Michigan tax law very much favorites to most retirement incomes -,1607,7-121-1748_1876_1913-128781--,00.html - Federal and Michigan public pensions are totally exempt from state income tax.

In Arizona a pension is taxable income.