Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

I am a British citizen married to a US citizen holding a ...

Customer Question

I am a British citizen married to a US citizen holding a green card five years ago my mother in law was my affidavit of support immigrant i want to file for bankrupcy ,is this going to hurt my mother in law financially
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

Your mother is not responsible for your debts.

When your mother signed the Affidavit of Support, she accepted legal responsibility for financially supporting the sponsored immigrant until you become U.S. citizens or can be credited with 40 quarters of work. If the immigrant receives any "means-tested public benefits," your mother would be responsible for repaying the cost of those benefits to the agency that provided them. If she doesn't repay the debt, the agency can sue her in court to collect the money owed.

Currently, Federal means-tested public benefits are Food Stamps, Medicaid, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), and the State Child Health Insurance Program (CHIP). Some state and local programs may also be treated as means-tested public benefits.

Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience: Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Thank you but i really want to know if my credit got messed up they wont go after my mother in law
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

By signing the Affidavit of Support - your mother-in-law took responsibility for "means-tested public benefits," that you might receive.

Unless she signed any other responsibilities or co-signed any loans with you - she is not responsible for your debt or any other obligations.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I asked this squestion last month i got the reply but yesterday the 9th of february regarding divorce and the finalization of my divorce , and i deposited $15 why you are repeating the old question and not mentioning the new question please let me know
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 8 years ago.

Dear hadia,

I see this aquestion is about to expire.

let me take it for he other expert.

Your credit report will not influenced your mother in law. Nor are creditor able to go after her for your failed credit debt.

The only way a creditor could get your mother-in-law for your debt, is if she was an authorized user of your credit card. Then only that particular credit card lender could go after her. If she is not an authorized user on the card, they can not get to her.