Guru_Guy
Guru_Guy, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  I am a lawyer who understands tax law and finance.
1987257

can my mother, who is still living, give or sell her house ...

Customer Question

can my mother, who is still living, give or sell her house to me without me or herself taking on any tax consequences
Category: Tax
Expert:  Guru_Guy replied 6 years ago.

If this has been your mother's primary residence for at least two of the last five years, she can sell the house to you for up to $250,000 more than she paid for it without either of you incurring any income tax consequences.

If the house is worth more than at, the difference could be considered a gift. But even in that case, while your mother might have to file a gift tax form (IRS form 709) neither she nor you would not owe any gift taxes unless she has used up her $1 million lifetime gift limit.

Some localities charge a transfer fee or tax whenever a house changes owners. Localities often take that opportunity to reassess the value of the house for property tax purposes. But if you stay within the limits I have outlined above, there should not be any immediate tax consequences.

I hope this helps!

___________________

IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE: Absent an engagement for written tax advice prepared in compliance with the regulations promulgated by the U.S. Department of Treasury, no person prepared the written information contained in or accompanying this communication for use or reliance, and no taxpayer can, therefore, use or rely upon the written information contained in or accompanying this communication, (i) to avoid any penalties that the IRS may impose, or (ii) for the purpose of promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any tax-related matters.
Guru_Guy, Lawyer (JD)
Experience: I am a lawyer who understands tax law and finance.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Guru_Guy's Post: understood that     ---- but if i take that money and payoff home or my business building will I incur capital gains, of any type, at end of year.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
also how can she give it or gift it to me without money being involved
Expert:  Guru_Guy replied 6 years ago.
If she sells the home to you, your basis will be the purchase price. If you sell it for more than the purchase price, you will pay capital gains taxes on the difference between the purchase price and the sales price when you file for that tax year.

If she gives the property to you, and the gift does not put her over her $1 million lifetime gift limit, she will not owe any gift taxes. However, your basis in the property will be the lower of her basis or the fair market value at the time of the gift. Therefore, if she bought the house long ago and has a low basis, you are going to get nailed for a lot of capital gains when you sell. Of course, if you live there as your primary residence for at least two years, you can qualify for a $250,000 exemption on gains.

One option is for your mother to retain a life estate in the property while transferring the remainder to you. In such a scenario, you have a property interest in the property, but do not get full title until your mother's death. This allows you to get a stepped up basis of the fair market value of the home. The disadvantage of this method is that you don't get full title until death and cannot usually sell the home until your mother's death.

If your plan is to sell the home immediately, you would be better to have your mother sell the home herself, take the $250,000 primary residence exclusion then give you the proceeds from the sale.
Guru_Guy, Lawyer (JD)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Guru_Guy's Post: but again, when she gave me the "proceeds" would i not have to claim capital gain if i put it in the bank
Expert:  Guru_Guy replied 6 years ago.
No. If she sells the house while it is still in her name, she takes the gain. But because of the primary residence exclusion, unless the gain is over $250,000, there is no taxable gain.

When she gives you the proceeds from the sale, it is considered a gift. There is no tax. Your mother would have to file a gift tax form (IRS form 709) but assuming she has not used up her $1 million lifetime gift exclusion, no taxes would be due by either of you for this cash gift either.