Guru_Guy, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  I am a lawyer who understands tax law and finance.

At what age do you no longer have to file a tax ...

At what age do you no longer have to file a tax return? I thought it was 70.

There is no age limit, young or old for taxes. The only time a filng is not required is if the person does not make enough income to require a tax return to be filed. For a single person over age 65, a return must be filed if the person earned gross income over $10,050 (not counting Social Security income).

I hope this helps!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I will accept the answer, but I would like to know where this is written so I can refer to it in the future.
There is nothing that explicitly refers to age in the tax code, but Title 26, Chap. 1, Subchap. A, Part 1, Sec. 1 spells out that the income tax, and its rates on all individuals within the jurisdiction of federal law.

The IRS 1040 instructions have a section on "who must file", spelling out in detail what financial conditions allow one to avoid filing, and special rules for those under age 18. It also shows the additional personal deductions available to those over age 65. I think its lack of anything related to an exemption based on age is about the best one can do to prove the absence of such a rule. You can view those rules on pages 6 and 7 of these instructions:

I hope this helps!

IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE: Absent an engagement for written tax advice prepared in compliance with the regulations promulgated by the U.S. Department of Treasury, no person prepared the written information contained in or accompanying this communication for use or reliance, and no taxpayer can, therefore, use or rely upon the written information contained in or accompanying this communication, (i) to avoid any penalties that the IRS may impose, or (ii) for the purpose of promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any tax-related matters.