How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What happens if you dont pay your property taxes ...

Customer Question

What happens if you don't pay your property taxes on a lot that will be in foreclosure in a couple months anyways?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

Here is an example what would happen -

As a property owner you are required to pay property taxes. If you fail to pay taxes, a tax certificate will be sold by the Tax Collector at a date and time advertised by the Tax Collector.

A tax certificate may be held between two and seven years. At any time between the second and seventh year, the certificate holder may request the sale of the property to satisfy the certificate. The certificate holder must apply for the tax deed sale by presenting the original certificate to the Tax Collector.

The Tax Collector then certifies the tax deed application over to the Clerk, who computes the base bid and charges the certificate holder for the costs of holding the sale. Once the costs have been paid, the Clerk sets a sale date, notifies the certificate holder, the property owner, and all lien holders, and the sale is held in accordance with Florida Statutes.

Notices of pending tax deed sales are published in a newspaper with local circulation. Tax deed files are available for inspection at the local Courthouse.

Tax deed sales are conducted at the specified time. Anyone may bid on the property, and must register with the tax deed clerk prior to the sale. The clerk announces each application, along with the name of owner and legal description, and the base bid. The floor is then opened for verbal bidding. The property is sold to the highest bidder.

At the time of the sale, the successful high bidder must post with the Clerk a cash, nonrefundable bond along with other fees. Upon payment of the remainder of the bid, the Clerk will issue a tax deed to the property. The sale is final when the tax deed is signed by the Clerk. The property owner may redeem his/her property by paying all back taxes and costs up until the Clerk of Court signs the tax deed.

If the certificate holder is not the successful bidder, he/she is reimbursed all monies paid, plus interest earned from the monies received from the successful bidder. Valid liens are then paid out of the monies received. Notarized claims must be submitted to the Clerk's office to substantiate a claim. The former property owner may claim any excess funds. If no claims are made on the excess funds, these funds are turned over to the Board of County Commissioners 90 days after the sale.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to LEV's Post: So lets say I never paid the taxes for the year and I am already in the foreclosure process and the tax payment is due; Is there any way I will still be responsible for paying those taxes after foreclosure or during the foreclosure process if I don't pay before the foreclosure process is through?
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

While the foreclosure procedure is vary by the state - in Florida creditors must be foreclosed by filing a lawsuit. As in any lawsuit, the debtor must be served with notice of the lawsuit should have an opportunity to appear and defend his/her rights.

All mortgages shall be foreclosed in equity.(chapter 702.01) - means generally the debtor is not obligated to pay any additional money in case the sale would not cover all debt. The taxes should be paid first and remaining balance would be your debt to the mortgage company.

The creditor has options to forgive the debt (that may be your taxable income!) or try to collect the debt.

A separate action for a deficiency must be filed within 4 years after the foreclosure sale. If the creditor win that judgment - the debt would be collected. Your wages or bank account may be garnished or lien may be registered against another property you owe.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience