RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..

HOW DO I CALCULATE FOR W2S BOX 17,18,19, FOR NEW YORK ...

Customer Question

HOW DO I CALCULATE FOR W2'S BOX 17,18,19, FOR NEW YORK STATE. I'M WORKING WITH A GROSS WAGES AS 57,999.76. PLEASE INCLUDE FORMULAS. THIS IS FOR MARRIED PERSON. THANK YOU
Category: Tax
Expert:  RD replied 6 years ago.

Your gross wages is $57,999.76.

Do you contribute to any retirement plan such as 401K, simple IRA etc.

Do you contribute to any cafetaria plan?

What is the wages reported in FOrm W-2 -Box 1, 3 and 5

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
NO 401K OR SIMPLE IRA OR CAFETRIA ETC. JUST GROSS.

BOX 1,3,5, 57,999.76 THANK YOU....
Expert:  RD replied 6 years ago.

Box 16 State Wages
The State wages reported are the same as the amount of Federal wages required to be reported in Box 1 - Wages, Tips and Other Compensation so the amount will be $57,999.76

Box 17 State Income Tax
The total State tax withheld is reported in this box. (this amount will be based on your filing status and number of allowances you claimed- This can be calculated from the tables provided by the State)- you will find the state and city withholding details at the link below-

http://www.tax.state.ny.us/forms/withholding_cur_forms.htm

Box 18 Local Wages
The total Local wages are reported in this box. New York City wages are on the top line and Yonkers wages are directly below in the same box. For a part-year New York City resident, the amount reported is for that period only that the employee was a New York City resident. The Yonkers wages is the same amount as the State wages.

Box 19 Local Income Tax
The total Local taxes withheld are reported in this box. If both, New York City tax withheld is on the top line and Yonkers tax withheld is directly below in the same box.

Let me know if you have any question. Bonus and Feedback will be highly appreciated!!!

Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases. Nothing contained in this reply was intended or written to be used, can be used by any taxpayer, or may be relied upon or used by any taxpayer for the purposes of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I looked at the table, but i dont know if i'm doing it right so if you can tell me what # XXXXX be in box 17,18,19 i can compar and see if i'm doing it right. employee if filing status is married with 0 allowances..thanks for all your help
Expert:  RD replied 6 years ago.

Is this a one time payment to the employee? Normally payoll is paid monthly or weekly or so on.

Normally payroll taxes are deducted periodically and than reported on Form W-2 to the employee on an annual basis. Did you deduct the payoll taxes? If yes, you will calculate the total taxes withheld from such periodic reports.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
weekly and yes payroll taxes was taken out as follows.

federal: 129.90 weekly
SS:       69.15
med:       16.17
NY:       58.92
NY city    34.78

so for box 16 is 57999.76 and box 17 is 58.92*52 and box 18 is 57999.76 and box 19 is 34.78*52..
Expert:  RD replied 6 years ago.
Yes that is correct
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience: CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i have accept your answer and thank you very much for your help.