Guru_Guy, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  I am a lawyer who understands tax law and finance.

If we choose not to pay property taxes on vacant land ...

Customer Question

If we choose not to pay property taxes on vacant land we currently own in another state, will this affect our credit report negatively? Will the property eventually be listed for sale due to non-payment of taxes (which is what we want) as we do not have any plans to use this land and cannot sell it in today''s market. We have also stopped paying the required POA dues.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Guru_Guy replied 8 years ago.
If you fail to pay the taxes, it will show up as a tax lien on the property, which will affect your credit rating. If you no longer want the property, consider donating it to a charity or voluntarily turning it over to the government. That way, you will be rid of the obligations on it and may even be able to get a tax deduction.

I hope this helps!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How do we donate this property or turn it over to the government and receive the tax deduction?
Thank you!
Expert:  Guru_Guy replied 8 years ago.
In what State is the land in question?