How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

export car tax

Resolved Question:

If i'm buying a brand new car and will not going to have it under my name(buy it with a clean title from the dealer) exporting the car as a gift to china,(might sell it later, haven't made up my mind) do i have to pay taxes when i buy the car? how do i tell the dealer that the car is not going to be use in US? Just tell them? And what kind of taxes do i have to pay before the car can enter china(as an un-used car), can you tell me as the overall percentage of car value for the total tax amount?

Also, once i gave the car away, do i still have to pay any type of property tax? do i need to report my sales(to US) as tax if i decided to sell the car in china? thank you
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 8 years ago.


Lets talk U.S. sales and use tax. In order to avoid the tax, by shipping a car overseas, the dealer has to ship the car directly. Else, you would have to take possession of it in order to move it yourself, which would require payment of sales tax. Some dealerships will write up the paperwork in such a way that it appears as if they are shipping it, but you are actually the shipper. They would simply indicate for delivery to China. You would get temporary or tranport tags to move the vehicle to the shipping doc.

The taxes for export are:

34.2% tarrif

Value added tax of 17%

Consumption tax of 8% (if over 2200 cc engine)

You pay value added tax n the tarrif as well so 17% times the 34.2%



Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience: GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Ed Johnson and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Ed Johnson's Post: Can you show me for an detail example if a car is $80,000

By means of taxes for export it out of US,
do i have to pay more taxes(import) if i'm shipping my car to China?

Thank you
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 8 years ago.

There is no export tax for the car.

Tarrif: 32.4% X 80,000 = 25,920

VAT: 17% X 80,000 = 13,600

Use tax: 8% X 80,000 = 6,400

Vat again 17% X 32.4%=.0551 (5.51%) X 80,000 = 4,408

TOTAL tax on entry to China: 50,328 dollars or roughly 62 % of the price of the car.


You are going to have to pay sales tax most likely in bloomington. I assume you mean bloomington, minnesota.

remember, if you take possession of the car, even to transport it yourself to a shipper, sales tax is required. It has to be delivered by common carrier or by the dealership to the ship in order for you to avoid sales tax.

There is no export tax in the U.S.: In the US, export taxes are unconstitutional since the US constitution contains a clause prohibiting their use. The U.S. did enact an export profits tax law, but that does not apply in exporting for personal use.




Customer: replied 8 years ago.
and for me getting that car out of states, do i have to pay property tax every year? or if i decide to sell it, do i have to include it in my income tax?
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 8 years ago.


There is no property tax in the united states in any state where the car is not garaged. if it is garaged in a state wihtout property tax or outside the U.S. there is no property tax to pay.

You are permitted to sell a few cars a year without paying income tax on the proceeds as it is considered your personal car and you are not doing it for profit. Every state is differnet in this regard.

Some allow four cars per year and some eight.

for sure, for this one car, you would not have to pay capital gains or income tax in the United states.

The sale of a car in china may be subject to tax in china, but not the U.S.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience