How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wendy Reed Your Own Question
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3346
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wendy Reed is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How long can you claim a child as a dependent

This answer was rated:

No Comment Added


This depends on whether or not your child meets the dependency requirements as either a qualifying child, or qualifying relative. Theoretically, you could claim your child forever, as long as he or she meets the guidelines. See the following:




Rules for all dependents include:

  • You cannot claim any dependent if you , or your spouse if filing jointly could be claimed by another taxpayer
  • You cannot claim a married person who filed a joint return unless that joint return is filed only for a refund and no tax liability would exist for either spouse on separate returns
  • The dependent must be a US citizen, US resident, US national, or a resident of Canada or Mexico for some part of the year


All dependents are either Qualifying Children or Qualifying Relatives.


Qualifying Child:


  • The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, eligible foster child, brother, sister, half or step brother or sister, or a descendant of one of them.
  • The child must be under age 19 at the end of the year or under age 24 and a full time student for any part of 5 months of the year, OR, any age and totally and permanently disabled
  • The child must have lived with you for more than ½ the year (exceptions apply)
  • The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year
  • If the child is a qualifying child of more than 1 person, you must be the person entitled to claim the child (tie-breaker rules)


Qualifying Relative:


  • The person cannot be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of anyone else-Even if the person for whom the child is a qualifying child does not claim that child as a dependent
  • The person must be related to you as a parent, child, sibling or a descendent or ancestor of one of these. Steps, halves, and in-laws count. The end of a marriage does not end this relationship for tax purposes. If the person is not related to you in this manner (such as a cousin or unrelated person), that person has to live with you for the entire year.
  • The person's gross income must be less than the exemption amount ($3300 in 2006, $3400 in 2007)
  • You must provide more than half of the person's total support for the year unless a multiple support agreement is in place
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Wendy Rieger's Post: Our son is going to be entering the carpenter apprentice program. He will be attending class but also working in the field. Does this count as class and can we continue to use him as a deduction?

Will he be living with you still?

What is his age and how much will he make?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Wendy Rieger's Post: Yes, he will be living with us and he may gross 6-10 grand. He is be in class 3 weeks every 3-4 months possibly more often if he takes other classes...

If he is under 19, then he will be your dependent "qualifying child" as long as he does not pay more than 1/2 the cost of supporting himself.

If he is between 19 and 23 (not 24 at the end of the tax year) then he can still be a dependent "qualifying child, as long as the school he is attending is an elementary, junion or senior high school, college, university, or technical, trade, or mechanical school--and he attends for at least 5 months of the year as a full time student. HOWEVER--- an on-the-job training course does not count as a school.

From your description, it sounds as if he is not attending a vocational school, but an on the job training program. Therefore, if this is the case, and he is making 6-10 grand per year and over 19, then you cannot claim him as a dependent.

Please let me know if you need any additional clarification.


Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3346
Experience: 15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
Wendy Reed and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience