How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jon Andrews Your Own Question
Jon Andrews
Jon Andrews, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3118
Experience:  I deal with all levels of tax planning and controversy - from the ordinary to the complex.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Jon Andrews is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I claim untaxed income

Resolved Question:

No Comment Added
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jon Andrews replied 9 years ago.
What do you mean by "untaxed income"? What type of income is it?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Jon Andrews's Post: I recently got a new job as a property manager and my income isn't taxed, it's a personal check from the owner of the property I manage. I heard something about paying taxes quarterly so that at the end of the year I will have paid what I'm supposed to pay. I just want to make sure that I do what needs to be done so I don't get in trouble.

Expert:  Jon Andrews replied 9 years ago.

You will report the income, along with any related expenses, on a Schedule C that you attach to your tax return. The "net" income (income minus expenses) will be subject to both income tax and self-employment tax. This reporting is only done once per year.

You should estimate the amount of tax that you will owe and make a payment using Form 1040-ES on 4 dates throughout the year - 4/15, 6/15, 9/15, and 1/15 of the following year. If any of the dates fall on a weekend or holiday, the payment is due on the next business day. So, this year the 9/15 payment is actually due on Monday 9/17. A good estimate would be 15% of the net income for self-employment tax plus 15-25% of the net income for income tax. The income tax rate will depend on your other income, deductions, etc.


Jon Andrews and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions