MequonCPA
MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
5142404

How many years can the Irs go back to collect money you owe

I recieved a letter saying I owe money for 941 tax from 1997. What is the cutoff on this.
Category: Tax
Expert:  MequonCPA replied 9 years ago.

Did you file the form

Have you moved since 1997

Any additional info you think is relevant

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I can't remember if I did, but I think I did. I have moved. With Penalties and interst the total is 65000.
Expert:  MequonCPA replied 9 years ago.

DearCustomer-

Generally the maximum time frame is 10 years, but it is possible that the statute of limitations is still open if the IRS has been unable to issue the assessment due to changes in address.

Because of the size of the assessment, it would be in your best interest to contact an attorney in your area that specializes in tax problems. They can assist you in determining whether the statute is still open, the proper amount, etc. With the proper counsel and the right situation penalties and sometimes interest are negotiable. There is also the possibility of an offer in compromise if you are unable to pay the full amount over time.

Hope this helps.

Steve

If you are satisfied with my work, kindly press the green "ACCEPT". It is the only way I am paid for assisting you. Positive feedback and bonuses are appreciated.