How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RD Your Own Question
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 8784
Experience:  CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..
Type Your Tax Question Here...
RD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How much do I get after tax $10,000 a month?

This answer was rated:

I am married and have one kid - currently my company pays me $90,000 per anum. They are getting $10,000 per month from client. If I skip my company and get money from the client directly and file taxes on 1099 how much do I get per month after taxes?


It really depends on the net income you make.

Being a Form 1099 contractor you can deduct all the necessary and ordinary expenses of running this activity.

As a self-employed, you can take any of the deductions incurred in the ordinary course of your business or profession. An ordinary expense is one that is common and accepted in your field of business. A necessary expense is one that is helpful and appropriate for your business. Some of these expenses are listed on Schedule C and are expenses such as office supplies, travel, maintenance, repairs, postage, etc.

You can deduct home office expenses if you are carrying on your business from home. Expenses that you

may be able to deduct for business use of the home may include the business portion of real estate taxes, mortgage interest, rent, utilities, insurance, depreciation, painting and repairs.
Note that You can claim this deduction for the business use of a part of your home only if you use that part of your home regularly and exclusively:

  • As your principal place of business for any trade or business
  • As a place to meet or deal with your patients, clients or customers in the normal course of your trade or business

Generally, the amount you can deduct depends on the percentage of your home that you used for business. Your deduction will be limited if your gross income from your business is less than your total business expenses.

You can also depreciate computers, furniture, Equipment etc., used for the purpose of business.

If you use your car in your business, you can deduct business mileage that represents your business use of the car.

Please note that If you use the standard mileage rate for a year, you cannot deduct your actual car expenses for that year. You cannot deduct depreciation, lease payments, maintenance and repairs, gasoline (including gasoline taxes), oil, insurance or vehicle registration fees.

On the net earnings you will be subject to self-employment tax at the rate of 15.3%. You will get 50% of it as a deduction from your AGI.

Also, you will owe taxes on income tax on this and other income earned by you and your wife. The tax rate will depend on your overall tax bracket.

Considering the fact that you will be getting $120,000 instead of $90,000- getting it directly may be more beneficial.

Let me know if you have any questions.

RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 8784
Experience: CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..
RD and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Thanks for the reply. I am a software engineer I work at client site, so I won't be having much expenses to claim.

So if I want to go for 1099 I have to pay 15.3% (self-employment tax) on 10000 + the income tax on the rest of the of the amount correct?

How about the employer portion of the social security and Medicare tax, is that included in the 15.3%? If not how much usually the employer pay, is it equal to the amount I pay on W2.

Yes, you would pay 15.3% on (92.35% of $10000)+ federal tax on the taxable income calculated based on $10000 per month income minus 50% of the self-employment tax paid minus other adjustments such as health insurance, IRA, SEP etc., minus standard deduction/itemized deductions minus personal exemptions.

The employer portion of FICA and Medicare is included in 15.3%. In a W-2 situation you pay 7.65% of the FICA and Medicare and your employer pays 7.65%. In this case you will pay 15.3%.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Sorry, I am very poor in tax stuff. I didn't get it why we are calculating 15.3% self-employment tax and taking off 50% of it.

So effectively I will be paying 7.65% of it, correct?

Also health insurance is just tax deductible, right? I mean I cannot take out the whole amount from Fed tax amount.

So here is my calculation
706 - Self-employment tax
2500 - Federal tax @ 25%
600 - State tax @ 6%
500 - Health Insurance (after the tax credit)
4306 Total Deductions (Approximately)

In order to give you a yearly estimate-

On Yearly self-employment Income of $120,000

Your tax liability will be

Federal tax appx. $16,500

Self-employment taxes $14,895

State tax appx. $5,000 (Depends on your State)

You will pay 15.3% in self-employment tax and 7.65 % is a deduction to reduce your taxable income. It is not a tax credit to reduce your taxes. So it basically reduces your tax to some extent but not by 50%.

Hope this helps!

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you very much. It is really helpful.

Thank you very much. It is really helpful.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience