Mic, Business Owner
Experience:  Business owner, take care of all legal issues and tax work

Are wages for adult sitters caring for elderly people tax ...

Customer Question

Are wages for adult sitters caring for elderly people tax deductible? Any tax credits available? Is overtime (40+ hrs) an issue to pay as straight time?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mic replied 9 years ago.
Hello Curious,

If you are paying the adult sitter and you supply them with a Form 1099 then you may be able to take some if not all the deduction on your return.

The 40+ hours is a issue that is set on employers by the state that you reside. If you have an employee, then the law states that you have to pay 1.5 times their normal rate for any time over 40 hours. Federal Holidays in most states is 2 times their normal rate, and some states even require that you pay 2 times their normal rate if they work more than 7 consecutive days. This is only for employer/employee relationships not for contracted relationships.

I hope this helps!
It has been my pleasure to assist you!
If you are satisfied with my work, kindly press the green "ACCEPT". It is the only way I am paid for assisting you. Positive feedback and bonuses are appreciated.