jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.

work out of town deductions

Customer Question

Can I get any tax deductions if I travel and stay out of town to work?
Category: Tax
Expert:  jgordosea replied 9 years ago.

You can deduct any travel expenses if they are ordinary and necessary expenses that you incur traveling away from home in connection with the pursuit of an existing business.

You can't deduct travel expenses to the extent that they are lavish or extravagant - the expenses must be reasonable considering the facts and circumstances. However, the IRS gives you a great deal of latitude here. Your expenses won't be denied simply because you decided to fly first class, or dine in four-star restaurants

Deductible travel expenses while away from home include, but are not limited to, the costs of:

1. Travel by airplane, train, bus, or car between your home and your business destination,
  2. Using your car while at your business destination,
  3. Fares for taxis or other types of transportation between the airport or train station and your hotel, the hotel and the work location, and from one customer to another, or from one place of business to another,
  4. Meals and lodging, and
  5. Tips you pay for services related to any of these expenses.

Instead of keeping records of your meal expenses and deducting the actual cost, you can generally use a standard meal allowance, which varies depending on where you travel. The deduction for business meals is generally limited to 50% of the unreimbursed cost.

For more information see and

Hope this fully answers the question.