Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee

If I owe the state of Alabama income tax and dont ...

Customer Question

If I owe the state of Alabama income tax and don't have the money to pay right now; what do I send in with my form 40V? I e-filed my taxes on April 17th, systems crashed due to overload, and mine were not accepted until the 20th . I have one business day to mail in form AL8453, my signed declarationof electronic return and form 40V with my owed taxes. That ,of course, is today.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 7 years ago.

Dear Calujliepay,

Can you pay by credit card?

Do you want to do an installment payment agreement?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Ed Johnson's Post: I would need to pay on an installment plan.

DearCustomer

The Alabama Department of Revenue discourages individuals from making installment plans. If you do not pay the full amount due by what ever means possible, they will issue a final determination which is not appealable. This is in fact, the level of a judgement, and tax liens will be filed.

You need to find a way to pay them at least a partial payment.

I went to the Alabama Department of Revenue specifically to ask about this question. AND,the repsonse, copied be low says that you can make a patial payment.

"We have received your request for partial payments of your individual income tax liability. We will credit any voluntary payments made, however, we are not authorized to set up payment plans. Also, voluntary payments will not delay further processing of your file. Further processing may include entry of an assessment, filing of a tax lien and transfer of your file to the Collection Services Division.

Voluntary payment should include a copy of the most recent billing letter received by you from this division and should be mailed to the address shown on that letter. Your payment should also include your social security number and the tax year.

This is the partial payment policy for the Individual and Corporate Tax Division only. If you receive a notice from the Collection Services Division, you should pay the amount shown on the notice or contact that division immediately.