RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..
510454

Can I use a P.O. Box as my address for tax return or does ...

Customer Question

Can I use a P.O. Box as my address for tax return or does it have to be a physical address?
Category: Tax
Expert:  RD replied 10 years ago.

Yes, you can enter P O Box as your address only if the post office does not delivermail to your physical address.

Let me know if you have any question. Bonus and Feedback will be highly appreciated!!!

Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Renu V's Post: so I dont have to have any physical address and can hide my address from the irs?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
so in my first question I can basically hide my physical address from the irs? they dont have any laws on having a physical address?
Expert:  RD replied 10 years ago.

Note that you can use P O Box only if the post office wont deliver to your physical address. So you cannot hide your physical address if you have one. Infact IRS has the information on your physical address through the mortgage interest, W-2 , social security and other forms filed with the IRS.