How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I write off an earnest money deposit on ...

This answer was rated:

Can I write off an earnest money deposit on residential real estate that I forfieted due to the market value dropping and the developer lowering the purchase price on other similar new home sales? The property was going to be purchased as an second home/investment and either sold immediately at closing or rented out. What IRS publication provides instructions for allowing this?

Dear juhzr93,

Unfortunately earnest money is not deductable. This loss is a personal loss and is not deductable.

See this definition of what you cannot deduct from the IRS web site:

Nondeductible payments. You cannot deduct any of the following items.

  • Insurance, including fire and comprehensive coverage, and title and mortgage insurance.

  • Wages you pay for domestic help.

  • Depreciation.

  • The cost of utilities, such as gas, electricity, or water.

  • Most settlement costs. See Settlement or closing costs under Cost as Basis, later, for more information.

  • Forfeited deposits, down payments, or earnest money.

Reference: (middle of th epage)


Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Ed Johnson's Post: I was told by a CPA that because this was investment property and the value declined that I could report it as a capital loss. The sale price is $0 and the basis is the amount of the deposit. Is this not correct? I also found information on the internet which leads me to believe that this can be written off up to $3,000 per year for seven years. I understand that a deposit cannot be written off if it is a primary residence.

Dear Juhrzr93,

The list I gave you is taken directly from the IRS website where it discusses what is deducable and what is not.

Your CPA may be correct in that if you have business activities.

For example, if you were purchasing a rental property, but if you had no rents, you would not be able to take the passive losses.

A home is always an investment right. But you stated it was a second home. The IRS specifically says that the earnest money is not deductable.

Now if you tell me that you are a DBA, LLC, S-corp, or are a professional realestate investor, I might give you a different answer. Your CPA seeks to give you a loophole. You can try it, and see what happens. I am aware of business developmet costs being deductable, and that can included the purchase of realestate and commerical buildings and rental apartments and units.

But, second homes, that you want to classify and desigante as investment property to attempt to capitalize lost earnest money....I think that is risky and would send up a red flag. If you are going do that, then you could also say that you could carry over the lost equity and ad to the basis of a finally purchased second home. I mean if it s a true investment property and not a second home, wouldn't is stand to reason to be able to carry forward the expenses as developmental costs. However, this is not the case for second homes, etc.



Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience: GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Ed Johnson and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience