Wayne Brasch
Wayne Brasch, Accountant and Business Consultant
Experience:  Master of Science in Taxation. Tax experience since 1963.
749270

What to do with dependent W2 forms

My son is in high school and lives at home. He turned 18 in January of 2007. He received 2006 W2 forms. Does he have to file his own tax return? TurboTax didn't ask for income for any dependents so I'm not sure what to do with his W2 forms. His total wages were around $2200.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wayne Brasch replied 7 years ago.
Your son should file a Federal and IL tax return. Chances are that he will get back most of the money that was withheld for Federal and IL tax purposes. Make sure he doesn't claim himself as an exemption on his return since it will be to your advantage to claim him on your returns.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Wayne Brasch's Post: When I was using TurboTax I did come to a section where I was asked some questions to determine whether I had to report my son's income. I don't remember the exact details, but I think he had to have income greater than around $5000 for it to be a requirement that I report his income on my tax return. Since his wages were less I didn't report his income. I'm a little confused. I'll have him file separately as you said, but why would I be required to also report his income on my return if it exceeds a certain amount?
Since your Son is 18, he files his own return. You need not include his income in your return at all.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Wayne Brasch's Post: Wayne - as I said in my original post my son didn't turn 18 until January 12 of 2007 so he was 17 last year when he earned the money. Does that make a difference or does it only make a difference if his income is greater than a certain amount?
Income from his job goes on his return despite his age. I'm sure you are thinking his income needs to be included within your return because of his age at the end of 2006. All of that relates to unearned income earned by someone 17 or under. Unearned income is interest and/or dividend income. Show his W-2 income on his return and leave it out of yours. His W-2 income is defined as earned income and does not come under the unearned income rules of a minor at all.
Experience: Master of Science in Taxation. Tax experience since 1963.