Guru_Guy, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  I am a lawyer who understands tax law and finance.

is there a age you can stop paying school taxs

Customer Question

my dad is 78 years old he was told he can stop paying school taxs at 75 it that true
Category: Tax
Expert:  Guru_Guy replied 9 years ago.

Rules vary greatly depending on the jurisdiction. Where does your father live?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Guru_Guy's Post: williamsport pennsylvania
Expert:  Guru_Guy replied 9 years ago.

There is not exlicit age that allows a person in Pennsylvania to stop paying school taxes. In Williamsport, as in most of Pennsylvania, school taxes are funded by a combination of earned income taxes and property taxes. So if a senior still has a job and earns income, he would be subject to pay income taxes for the school on that money. However, retirement income is not subject to the income tax.

As for property taxes, all property owners must pay them, regardless of age. However, the State of Pennsylvania offers a rebate of up to $650 to low income seniors. You must make less than $35,000 per year and be over age 65 to qualify for the rebate.

This documents provides more details:

But to answer your question directly, there is no exemption for people age 75 and over.

I hope this helps!

Please keep in mind that information in this forum is for informational purposes only. It is not legal advice and does not constitute creation of an attorney client relationship. Before acting on any such information, you are always advised to consult with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction who can take the time to review all the facts and laws relevant to your situation.