Guru_Guy, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  I am a lawyer who understands tax law and finance.

Does an elderly person have to file taxes if they just ...

Does an elderly person from CT that is 88 years old have to file taxes if they just collect social security around $11,000 a year and a small pention under $100.00 that amounts to $12,000 a year. Doesn't work or own anything.Lives in a Housing Development for the elderly people and pays rent in the amount of $180.00 a month and after bills and food has just enough to live week by week. thank you.

A single person over age 65 is not required to file a tax form under the following conditions:

1. no one else claims him as a dependent
2. he is not running his own business
3. he makes under $9700 per year (not counting Social Security).

I am not clear from your explanation whether he makes $12,000 per year including SS or in addition to SS. If the total is $12,000 including $11,000 in SS, then a tax filing should not be required.

For more details on filing requirements, take a look at pages 12-13 of these IRS instructions:

I hope this helps!