Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
586644

How can I tell if the IRS will hold my tax refund for a ...

How can I tell if the IRS will hold my tax refund for a past due student loan?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 9 years ago.

DearCustomer

You would be told of any offset that was filed. HOwever, notice sometimes does not come until just before the offset has occured.

You should check the status of your return at: https://sa1.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/en/irfofgetstatus.jsp

Then contact the lender and ask them if they are referring it or do you still have a chance to pay this off.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Ed Johnson's Post: I have had this done to me before without any notice given to me. I then started to repay my loan through a repayment company. But, I became unemployed for a few months and was unable to continue payments. I have not started to repay the loan yet as I have now found employement. And I was wondering if the IRS would hold my refund again. I have not been notified of them doing so. I have not filed yet in fear that my refund will be held. What can I do? Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

Margaret,

This is a dilema, I know. Unfortunately, if the offset has already been filed, then there is nothing you can do at this point. Even if you pay the debt, it takes time for the agency to successfully withdraw the offset. Also, it may not be that easy, because even though you pay the debt, the offset can include the cost and expense of getting the legal documentation to refer the debt to the offset program. At least they will want to recoup those expenses.

My best advice, to avoid a penalty with the IRS and give you the time to act, is to file an extension. You must include a small payment with the extension, even if you expect a refund. I recommend a 50 dollar payment. This will give you until August to fix things up.