Christopher Phelps
Christopher Phelps, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, CFP, PFS, Tax Practitioner 21 Years, Member AICPA/CSCPA Tax/Financial Planning Committee Member

Can Medical Expense be carry over

Customer Question

This year my wife and I have medical bills that does not more than 6500. However we have medical bill from previous year which are not fill because it is less that 6500. But if both is combine it is more than 6500. Can the previous year for medical expense carry over to this year??
Category: Tax
Expert:  Christopher Phelps replied 9 years ago.

Unfortunately, medical expenses may only be deducted in the year incurred. You may not carryover unused medical deductions.

Because it is impossible for me to identify and consider ALL the relevant facts, this advice is not intended or written to be used for the purpose of avoiding penalties, and cannot be used for that purpose.