Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

do you have to claim georgia lottery winnings of $1,000.00

Customer Question

what is the dollar amount limit on georgia lottery winnings that you do not have to file on Ga state taxes?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 9 years ago.
Do you have any other income besides the lottery winning?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Lev's Post: yes.. actually this is for my son and his total earnings for 2006 was less than <$15,000.00. He will be filing single with standard deductions. The lottery winnings was $1,000.00. Thank you for helping me with this
Expert:  Lev replied 9 years ago.

Gambling winnings are fully taxable and must be reported on your tax return. There is no minimum amount to report this type of income.

Assuming your son is not your dependent, filing as single with standard deduction - his filing requirements are based on the total income $8450 (for 2006).

As his income is above this amount - he is required to file and the actual taxes will be based on his tax bracket.

let me know if any clarification needed.