Wayne Brasch
Wayne Brasch, Accountant and Business Consultant
Experience:  Master of Science in Taxation. Tax experience since 1963.

Can you claim your medical co-pays on your taxes

We had a baby in 2006 and have medical co-pays that our insurance didn't cover (some are $15 some are $150).
Those can be added to all your other medical expenses such as prescription drugs, medical/health insurance, doctor and dentist visits, clinics, hospitals. Also parking paid for medical purposes can be deducted as well as mileage to and from medical appointments. All medical expenses must be greater than 7.5% of your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) in order to be deductible. AGI is the last number on page one of Form 1040.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Wayne Brasch's Post: Hi Wayne,

Just to clarify, when you say "medical/health insurance", does that mean we can claim our premium that my employer deducts from my check each month?

Yes you can claim what was withheld from your pay check each pay period for that type of insurance as well as any dental or cancer insurance you may have paid during the year.