Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

Are Michigan motor vehicle fees tax deductible on ...

Customer Question

Are Michigan motor vehicle fees tax deductible on Federal Income tax?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wayne Brasch replied 7 years ago.
If the fee is based on the value of the car as opposed to its weight, it would be deductible on Schedule A of your Federal tax return.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Wayne Brasch's Post: You have basically repeated back to me what I already know. I have read that information on Turbo Tax.

My specific question is in Michigan is the fee based on the value of the car as opposed to its weight and therefore would be deductible.
When you paid that fee what document did you have that billed you for the amount? That document should have shown on what basis the fee was calculated. In my state. the fee is 40% of the fair market value of the vehicle times a local millage rate. Since that is based on value, it is deductible. I suggest you look back to see how you were billed for that fee. If you no longer have that document, I suggest you call the local office in Michigan from where that bill came and ask them how it was created.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Since I have not had my question answered on this site and I have just been told to do the obvious -- call someone else -- I will not pay any charge.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Wayne Brasch's Post: This site seems to be a total scam -- I have not had my question answered. I have just been referred elsewhere.

I'm sincerely XXXXX XXXXX you are not satisfied with my answer. Since vehicle taxes and fees are set by local ordinances, I thought it would be easier for you to call the local authorities directly and get you question answered straight from someone who could truly help you. Again, please allow me to apologize for the fact that I don't know exactly how you were billed for those fees.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Wayne Brasch's Post: I have just spoken to my credit card company and have faxed them this page of communications as well as other information on this site.

They have approved that the $10 "deposit" as you have so cleverly worded it, has been blocked from my account and I will not be charged.

You cannot charge someone for answering a question that you did not/could not answer.

Good luck scamming other, My Brasch.
It is not nor ever has been my thoughts to scam anyone over anything. I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX help people with questions they have asked. My clients over the years have been well satisfied with my answers to their questions. I'm sorry you aren't so happy in this case. I hope you can get your money back.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, the charge has been blocked and will not be allowed to be paid from my credit card.
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

Dear Sir or Madam,

Calling this site or an expert a scam is a little offensive from your side. JustAnswer is in business for several years and has thousands of satisfied customers.

This system relies on the honor system and accepting responses is how the Experts that spend time answering you get paid. However, if none of the responses are acceptable to you, you don't have to accept them. You may ask expert clarification questions if you feel so.

If your deposit is refunded, you will no longer have access to the question and answer database. If you come back in the future to ask a question, you will have to pay the deposit again. So, you may want to think about keeping your account active if you would like to browse through our database of questions and answers. If you still wish to get a refund, please request deposit refunds at http://www.justanswer.com/refund.aspx.