How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks Your Own Que...
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks, Master Tax Advisor, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1257
Experience:  I am a Master Tax Advisor and Enrolled Agent. I have 40 years experience. Trucking specialist.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do I reduce my taxable income when giving cash gifts to my ...

Resolved Question:

Do I reduce my taxable income when giving cash gifts to my childern of $12,000 or less per year? I was given a house last year which I sold and I'm trying to reduce the tax consequences of the gain.
Submitted: 10 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks replied 10 years ago.

Gifts to qualified charities are the only gifts which would reduce your taxable income. Gifts to your family or other non charities will not.

Remember that inherited property is not considered a gift when it is received due to death of the owner. Be sure that you have computed your "cost basis" correctly to reduce the capital gain. You should not usually be paying tax on the sale price of the property.

Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you