Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee

are attorney fees and court fees tax deductible

I paid $7,500 to my attorney this year. In the end the judge gave me a $15,300 fine. Are any of these fees tax deductible? My dad has a small trucking company and is willing to pay some of the court fine. If he does this can he write it off when he files his taxes?

In general, attorney fees are not tax deductable to you unless the are legal expenses to recover wages, discrimination legal fees, or fees to advise and file taxes.

Your father can only use them as legal business expenses if they are his legal fees related to running and operating the business and not for personal issues.

There are some personal issues which can be used as a basis for claiming attorney fees as a business expenses. These would be of a nature that affect running of the business. For example: legal fees to defend a key employee in court for chages of vioilating a non-compete agreement, so that the company can keep the employee.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
How will my attorney's fine and the court fee affect my overall income tax refud?

The fine and court costs will not affect your tax refund, unless the court refers the debt to the federal offset program. It is unlikely this will happen unless the fine and court costs have gone unpaid for some time.