Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience

Exactly how much income tax will come out of my pay check

Customer Question

I just started a job , how much taxes are supposed to come out of my check .. is there a scale i can look at to get a ruff estimate of how much my pay check will be?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 10 years ago.

Dear justcurious,

Yes in deed. I can give you the estimate if you provide the following information.

1. Did you turn in a W-4 to your employer? If you did, how many exemtions did you claim?

2. On the W-4 to your employer did you claim married, single, or head of household?

NOTE: If you did not turn in a W-4, I will use the rate of single zero exemptions.

3. Are you contributing anything to a 401(k) or similar plan? If so, how much per pay period.

4. Finanlly: What is your rate of pay? how much per pay period (2,000 every two weeks, etc)