How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds much should I estimate in taxes and what can I write off

Resolved Question:

I am begining a career as a loan officer and will be receiving a 1099 for my commissions. Do I need to estimate quarterly taxes and if so, how much? Also, what am I allowed to write off as a business expense?
Submitted: 10 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 10 years ago.

Do you have other income besides this?

What gross income do you expect?

Whar are expenses in connection with this business do you expect?

What is your filing status - married/single? any dependents?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Lev's Post: 1. I have no other income besides this.

2. I am estimating my gross income to be $300,000

3. In terms of expenses, I'm wondering what is generally considered and what is, maybe a stretch. I purchased a car when I first started this job, internet access, faxing, office supplies, etc. What receipts should I be saving...lunches, gas, make-up and nail services? I hope you can see where I'm going with this.

4. Single with no dependents
Expert:  Lev replied 10 years ago.

Let first estimate your taxes.

Assuming you would have $20,000 expenses and net income $280,000.

Self-employment taxes

  • 15.3% for first $94,200 - $14413

  • 2.9% for ($280,000-$94,200) - $5,388

Total SE taxes - $19,801.

Adjasted Gross Income $280,000 - ($19,801/2)= $270,100

Assuming you will have standard deduction your taxes will be $72,944

Total tax - $92,745.

You need to pay estimate tax. Form 1040es should be filled - Be aware that the firt payment is due on April 15, 2006.

California taxes will be ~$23,000 and you need to pay estimate taxes as well. Here ares a form and instructions to be filled:

Because of large state taxes you will probably use itemize deductions and you actual federal taxes will be lower. You may deduct your mortgage interest, real estate and property taxes, charitable contribution etc.

You may consider some kind retiremet plan to reduce tax presure. Also medical insurance cost would be deductible.

Sorry, nail services are not deductible. Lunches might be deductible if the customer is invited and you pay. Travel expenses are deductible if traveling for business. I feel that you need to be familiar with IRS publication 535 to be aware what are deductible expenses -

Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience: Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Lev and 6 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience