How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Christopher Phelps Your Own Question

Christopher Phelps
Christopher Phelps, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2710
Experience:  CPA, CFP, PFS, Tax Practitioner 21 Years, Member AICPA/CSCPA Tax/Financial Planning Committee Member
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Christopher Phelps is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How much taxes will I get back child?

Customer Question

How much do you get back in taxes when claiming a child?

Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Christopher Phelps replied 9 years ago.

It depends on what your income level is and what benefits you qualify for. If your child is a qualifying child to you, you may claim him/her as a dependent which gives you a $3,300 dependent exemption deduction. Also you may claim the $1,000 child tax credit. If you have earned income and it is below certain levels, you may also claim the earned income tax credit.

Dependent Status

A qualifying child is an individual who bears the requisite relationship to the taxpayer taxable year, who has the same principle place of abode as the taxpayer than one-half of such taxable year, who meets the age requirements, and who has not provided over one-half of such individual's own support calendar year in which the taxable year of the taxpayer begins.

The relationship test is satisfied if the individual is a child of the taxpayer or a descendant of the taxpayer's child, or a brother, sister, stepbrother, or stepsister of the taxpayer or a descendant of any such relative.

The age requirement is met if the individual in question has not attained age 19 (age 24 if the individual is a student) as of the close of the calendar year in which the taxable year of the taxpayer begins. An individual that is permanently or totally disabled as defined in IRC Sec. 22(e)(3) at any time during the calendar year is treated as meeting the age requirement.

There are special rules in cases where two or more taxpayers claim a qualifying child. If an individual may be claimed as a qualifying child by one or more parents who do not file a joint return together, the child is treated as the qualifying child of the parent with whom the child resided longest period of time during the taxable year, or if the child resides with both parents same amount of time, the parent with the highest adjusted gross income. If an individual may be claimed as a qualifying child by two or more taxpayers taxable year beginning in the same calendar year, the individual is treated as the qualifying child of (1) the taxpayer who is the individual's parent or (2) in the case of no such parent, the individual with the highest adjusted gross income.

Child Tax Credit

Accordingly, if your children are your dependents and they are "qualifying children" under the age of 17 as of 12/31/05, then you may also claim the $1,000 child tax credit. However, this tax credit is not refundable, which means it will only reduce whatever tax liability you have.

Earned Income Credit

Generally to claim the earned income tax credit you must file a U.S. tax return, must be a citizen, you must have earned income, you must have a valid Social Security Number , your spouse (if filing jointly) and your qualifying child, your investment income is limited to $2,650, your filing status cannot be “married filing separately” and you cannot be a qualifying child/dependent of another person. The maximum credit qualifying person with two qualifying children was $4,400 ($2,662 with one qualifying child, $399 with no qualifying children).

Earned income and adjusted gross income (AGI) must each be less than:

* $35,263 ($37,263 married filing jointly) with two or more qualifying children;
* $31,030 ($33,030 married filing jointly) with one qualifying child;
* $11,750 ($13,750 married filing jointly) with no qualifying children.

A qualifying child is one who is (1) your child or stepchild (whether by blood or adoption), foster child, sibling or stepsibling, or a descendant of one of these; (2) has the same principal residence as the taxpayer than half the tax year (some exceptions exist , deaths, etc.); (3) the child must be under the age of 19 at the end of the tax year, or under the age of 24 if a full-time student least five months of the year, or be permanently and totally disabled at any time during the year; and (4) the child did not provide more than one-half of his/her own support year.

To claim the credit you need to complete and file Schedule EIC with your tax return (see You might also want to visit the following website to get more information about the earned income tax credit.,,id=134524,00.html.

You may qualify "advance earned income credit" which will allow you to collect part of your credit in advance from your employer through an addition in your wages. If you have at least one qualifying child fill out form W-5 and give it to your employer (see

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Wendy Reed's Avatar

    Wendy Reed

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • MequonCPA's Avatar


    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience