Ask Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks Your Own Que...
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks, Master Tax Advisor, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  I am a Master Tax Advisor and Enrolled Agent. I have 40 years experience. Trucking specialist.

Does a 15 year old minor have to pay taxes

I have hired a 15 year old to do office clerical work and believe he is exempt from and taxes. Is this correct and if so is my requirement to just 1099 him at the end of the year?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks replied 10 years ago.

He may be exempt from federal withholding tax if he had -0- tax liability the previous year (got all of his withheld tax refunded or was not required to file) AND he expects to have the same -0- tax liability for this tax year.

He will still have ss and medicare tax withheld as usual and MAY also be subject to state/local withholding.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks's Post: This is not a definitive answer to my question which is probably why I couldn't find the answer on line either. He only has worked for me and has never filed a tax return. Should I just treat him like a regular employee with W-4 and let him file to be safe?
You should have him file a w-4 just like other employees. If his total income for the tax year will be less than 5000, he is likely to be able to use EXEMPT. If he is in doubt, have him claim -0- and single on his w-4 and file a return to get any refund to which he will be due.