How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher Phelps Your Own Question
Christopher Phelps
Christopher Phelps , Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2710
Experience:  CPA, CFP, PFS, Tax Practitioner 21 Years, Member AICPA/CSCPA Tax/Financial Planning Committee Member
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Christopher Phelps is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

debt canceled form 982

Resolved Question:

I am filling out a 982 based on a 1099-c. I qualify as insovent without a bankruptcy. I am an individual and have no business or depreciable property.

The problem is I can't figure out what to put in section 2 of the form. I think I need to put my assets on line 10 but I cant figure it out.

Thank you
Submitted: 10 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Christopher Phelps replied 10 years ago.

You may be able to defer recognition of some or all of the debt discharge income by establishing that you were insolvent at the time the debt discharge was effected. Insolvent means that your liabilities (i.e. all debts) exceeded the fair market value of all your assets. To accomplish this you need to prepare a personal financial statement as of the day before your debt was discharged. A personal financial statement would show all your assets at their then fair market value and all your outstanding liabilities. If the liabilities exceed the value of your assets, then you may defer recognition to the extent of the excess of the liabilities over the assets.

However, if order to take advantage of this exception you must file form 982 (Reduction of Tax Attributes...) located at The cost to avoiding recognition of the debt discharge income, is that you must reduce your some tax benefit you have. This may mean reducing any capital loss carry forwards, credits or even the cost basis of your principal residence if you own your home.

First, if you are electing to reduce basis or other tax attributes (i.e. capital loss carryovers, etc.) you may only reduce to the extent of your insolvency. Thus if your debts exceed your assets by $10,000 (prior to discharge) then you may only defer recognition of canceled debt as income to the extent of the insolvency (i.e. $10,000). If the debt cancelled exceeds the insolvency amount you must recognize it as income.

To properly complete Form 982 you would check box 1b in Part I. In Part II you would start entering amounts on each line in order to the extent you have the applicable assets or attributes.

If you do not operate a business or have real property used in a business ignore lines 4 through 7. Line 8 refers to alternative minimum tax credit you may be carrying forward from a prior year. If you do not have any AMT Tax credit ignore this line as well. Line 9 refers to any capital loss carryforwards you may have from prior reported losses on Schedule D that you were unable to deduct. If you have some capital loss carryfowards then you will enter on this line the lesser of the capital loss carryforward or the debt discharged (in which case your done with the form). If you do not have any capital loss carryforwards ignore line 9.

Line 10 is used if you have other depreciable or non-depreciable property (i.e. a principal residence, rental residence, autos, furnishings, etc.). You may enter the lesser of your cost basis or the remaining discharged debt not claimed on lines 4-9. Please note that you are limited in the amount you may reduce your cost basis in these types of assets to the excess of your cost basis over your other non-discharged debt. For example, assume you have qualifying assets whose cost basis is $30,000 and other non-discharged debts and liabilities of $20,000. If you have discharged debt of $15,000 you may only defer recognizing as income $10,000 of the cancelled debt since your property cost basis only exceeds your other debt by $10,000. The remining $5,000 would have to be recognized as income.

Line 11 is if the debt discharged was qualified fam indebtedness. Line 12 may be used if you have suspended passive activity losses or related credit carryovers available to reduce. Finally, line 13 is applicable if you have any foreign tax credit carryovers available to reduce.

To the extent you have reduced your cost basis in all available assets and you still have cancelled debt, you must recognize it as income.

Let me know if you have other questions of if you do own and operate a business to which lines 4-7 may apply.

Because it is impossible for me to identify and consider ALL the relevant facts, this advice is not intended or written to be used for the purpose of avoiding penalties, and cannot be used for that purpose.

Christopher Phelps, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2710
Experience: CPA, CFP, PFS, Tax Practitioner 21 Years, Member AICPA/CSCPA Tax/Financial Planning Committee Member
Christopher Phelps and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience