Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee

What taxes do I have to pay on CA state disability

I received 12 months CA disability @ $2800.00 per month in 2005. Do I pay federal and state income taxes on this money?

Optional Information:
Victorville, California

Already Tried:
1040 booklet and

Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 10 years ago.

Generally, you must report as income any amount you receive for your disability through an accident or health insurance plan paid for by your employer.

If both you and your employer have paid the premiums for the plan, only the amount you receive for your disability that is due to your employer's payments is reported as income.

If you pay the entire cost of a health or accident insurance plan, do not include any amounts you receive for your disability as income on your tax return.

If you pay the premiums of a health or accident insurance plan through a cafeteria plan, and the amount of the premium was not included as taxable income to you; the premiums are considered paid by your employer, and the disability benefits are fully taxable.

Disability income in California is taxable income.