I need to know the correct way to fill out a 1096 to send to the IrsOptional Information: Lancaster, Pennsylvania
The 1096 is a summary of information forms being sent to the IRS. You need one 1096 for each type of information form you have issued.
use only one Form 1096 for all of your 1099-MISCs.
1.Type your name, address, phone number, and either your Employer Identification Number (EIN) or Social Security Number. If you do not have an EIN, your Social Security Number is XXXXX
2. Check the box at the bottom to indicate the type of form being filed. Check only one box. For example, if you are filing 1099-MISCs, check the box for 1099-MISCs.
3. Type the total number of forms on line 3 which you are issuing with this 1096. For example, write "5" on line 3 if you are issuing five 1099-MISCs.
4. Type the total of any federal income taxes you withheld from payments on the forms for which this 1096 is being issued. Put this on line 4.
5. Type the total amount of payments on the forms for which this 1096 is being issued. Put this on line 5.
6. Sign your name, title, and date before mailing the completed form to the IRS center nearest you. Addresses are on the second page of Form 1096.
Let me know if you have any question.
Please note: This advice is based on limited facts provided by you. Since it is impossible for me to identify and consider ALL the relevant facts, this advice is not intended or written to be used for the purpose of avoiding penalties, and cannot be used for that purpose.
CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..