Shauna Johnson
Shauna Johnson, Experienced Researcher
Experience:  Excellent at solving those extra difficult problems!
230916

how do I find a company name and TIN at the IRS web

Customer Question

I am trying to see if a company has a Tax id number at IRS
Category: Tax
Expert:  Shauna Johnson replied 9 years ago.
My understanding is that for privacy reasons, EIN & other TIN information is not available on the IRS online site. I believe that they try to take the same care to protect privacy as they would a SSN.

There are a couple of options though. You can call the IRS directly and explain why you are seeking that company's TIN. I can't guarantee that they'll be able to provide the information that you're requesting if you are not the business owner, but if you are willing to provide your information and explanation, there is a possibility that they can help.

Secondly, you can do a search on this site:
http://www.freeerisa.com/Extras/EINFinder.asp?mode=SEARCH

The main link would just be www.freeerisa.com .

I believe that the site requires that you register your information, but should allow you to search for free. I would highly suggest going this route first, but if you don't have success then you may want to just try callinng the IRS directly. I'm not positive, but I believe only certain states release the EIN information...

Please let me know if you have any additional questions! I'm more then happy to help!
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Shauna Johnson's Post: that answer doesn't help i went to the web site and put in a company that i know has the tin and it came up with a different company and location.
there has got to be a way to verify a company name that is in the IRS data base
The govement won't do business with you unless you are in the data base
That is the only free site that I am aware of that you can search through online. If it was not helpful for you, then I would have to refer you back to the suggestion of calling the IRS directly.

Please let me know if I can be of any additional assistance!
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Shauna Johnson's Post: The information that you gave me did not answer my question,I am looking for a web site not a telephone call
I completely understand your frustration. I searched quite extensively to help find a website that would provide the information that you are seeking, but there just doesn't seem to be another out there or I would be happy to supply it.

The website that I provided is the only FREE website that I'm aware of that exists. There are several websites such as www.knowx.com that require a payment in order for you to search for the company EIN, but even with that there is no guarantee that they will have the information that you are seeking.

Again, I'm sorry if my answer is not what you were hoping for, but I did do a very thorough job of researching the topic for you. I just really wish that I had better news, because I'm sure it's been very frustrating for you. It's why I was trying to suggest other possible ways to solve the problem. Best of luck to you though in your quest!

I really am happy to continue assisting if I can, just let me know if there is another route that you would like to try.

Best of wishes!
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Shauna Johnson's Post: I could not use any of the information so I don't think I should pay