How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Shauna Johnson Your Own Question
Shauna Johnson
Shauna Johnson, Experienced Researcher
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 43
Experience:  Excellent at solving those extra difficult problems!
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Shauna Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How to do a company TIN search through the IRS.

Customer Question

I am trying to see if a company has a Tax ID number at the IRS.

Submitted: 11 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Shauna Johnson replied 11 years ago.

My understanding is that for privacy reasons, EIN & other TIN information is not available on the IRS online site. I believe that they try to take the same care to protect privacy as they would a SSN.

There are a couple of options though. You can call the IRS directly and explain why you are seeking that company's TIN. I can't guarantee that they'll be able to provide the information that you're requesting if you are not the business owner, but if you are willing to provide your information and explanation, there is a possibility that they can help.

Secondly, you can do a search on this site:

The main link would just be at:

I believe that the site requires that you register your information, but should allow you to search for free. I would highly suggest going this route first, but if you don't have success then you may want to just try calling the IRS directly. I'm not positive, but I believe only certain states release the EIN information.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions! I'm more than happy to help!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.

This doesn't really help. I went to the website and put in a company that I know has the TIN and it came up with a different company and location.
There has got to be a way to verify a company name that is in the IRS data base.
The government won't do business with you unless you are in the data base.

Expert:  Shauna Johnson replied 11 years ago.

That is the only free site that I am aware of that you can search through online. If it was not helpful for you, then I would have to refer you back to the suggestion of calling the IRS directly.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience

Related Tax Questions