RR
RR,
47143

inheritance tax for resident aliens (non-citizens)

My wife and I are both resident aliens living (permanently) in the US. I have heard that non-citizens may face inheritance taxes on the death of their spouse. Is this true for resident aliens?
Category: Tax
Expert:  RR replied 11 years ago.
The federal estate tax would apply to a permanent resident. The issue you seem to be talking about is where the assets are passed to a non-citizen spouse. In the usual US citizen case, there is a marital deduction available but this is not available where assets are passed to a non-citizen spouse. There are legitimate ways to address this issue, for example through a qualified domestic trust.

Of course, the estate tax won't apply to all estates. You can obtain details about the estate tax and the rates from IRS publication 950.