Christopher Phelps
Christopher Phelps, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, CFP, PFS, Tax Practitioner 21 Years, Member AICPA/CSCPA Tax/Financial Planning Committee Member
84937

tax reporting procedure

Customer Question

my son qualified me for a loan and he was added to the mortgage and the deed of my real property. i control all rents and take all deductions for the rented portion of the real property and we hold the deed in joint tenancy. are we reporting our taxes correctly and what will happen in the future if i pass away? i have two other sons as well.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Christopher Phelps replied 11 years ago.

As joint owners in the rental portion of the property you should each be reporting your share of the income and expenses on Schedule E of your tax returns. I assume you live in the non-rental portion which is your principal residence. You son owns his share in that part of the property as well. If he transfers the property without due consideration (i.e. makes a gift), he may be required to file a gift tax return (if the fair market value of the gift exceeds $11,000 per donee) and pay gift taxes (or just reduce his $1,000,000 lifetime gift exemption).

As joint tennants, if you pass away the property will automatically pass to your son on the title. The other sons will have no immediate rights, although they may challenge the owner son in court under various legal theories. The owner son's cost basis will increase to the extent the fair market value of your share of the property exceeds your cost basis (if you live in a community property state then the cost basis steps up to its entire fair market value).

Because it is impossible for me to identify and consider ALL the relevant facts, this advice is not intended or written to be used for the purpose of avoiding penalties, and cannot be used for that purpose.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Christopher Phelps's Post: did i transfer property to my son when he qualified me for a mortgage loan. assuming i did,
there was no consideration should i had filed a gift tax return or am i able to just reduce my $1,000,000 lifetime gift exemption? could you briefly explain the lifetime gift exemption? thanks

When you transferred an interest in the property to your son, you made a completed gift. To the extent the fair market value of the gift exceeded $11,000, you have incurred both a gift tax liability as well as created a filing requirement.

The gift is reported on form 709 ( http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f709.pdf) where both your gift tax liability and exemption is computed. You receive an lifetime exemption credit equivalent to $1,000,000. To the extent your gifts to one individual exceeds $11,000 in one year, you will use up a portion of that exemption equivalent amount. Your son assumes your cost basis and holding period for the portion of the interest you gifted to him.

Based on the information you presented, it appears you gifted a 50% interest in the property to him. Accordingly, to the extent the fair market value of that interest (i.e. 50% of the FMV of the property on the date of gift) exceeds $11,000, you have made a taxable gift and should file a gift tax return. Its better to file late then not at all. You stand a better chance of avoiding penalties. You should get a full appraisal as of the date of the gift to support your valuation.

Please note, if your son gifts the property back to you, he will be in the same predicament.

Experience: CPA, CFP, PFS, Tax Practitioner 21 Years, Member AICPA/CSCPA Tax/Financial Planning Committee Member
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Christopher Phelps's Post: EXCELLENT EXPLANATION. THANKS A MILLION! JOAN
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
THANKS