Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

how much does it cost to have taxes done by a tax accountant

Customer Question

My husband and I recently had our taxes done by an accountant he used when he lived in Georgia. The accountant revised taxes done for the year of 2002 that were filed on line using standard deductions. He also did the taxes for 2003 & 2004 at that same time. I sent this person our W-2's about a month before the April 15th deadline. He charged us $1,200 for all three years. After many requests, he finally sent our federal taxes back to us to file with the IRS on June 1, 2005. The total we are to get back, from all three years is $9,600. This does not include the State taxes which have yet to be filed. He now says that to do State taxes it will be an additional $150 ($75 per year). I may be dumb about this sort of thing, but this seems a bit much. My husband seems to thinks these fees are acceptable because of the amount of money we got back. What do you think?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

This sounds pretty excessive. I suggest that you call around and get some prices from other tax preparers so that you have something with which to compare.

Unless he offered other services to you for the $1,200 dollars, I would be ask for a detailed statement of the charges and what each dollar paid for. This will give you a better idea of where you spent your money.

The bill for the state taxes sounds reasonable (but still a little high) but I would be concerned about such a large bill for the federal.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Tammy,
Thank you for responding. The accountant was someone my husband used and trusted before we were married. This has been a bone of contention with us because of how long it took to actually get the taxes to file and how much it cost. He seems to thinks the fees are fair based on the refund. What is a reasonable amount? I have always either done my own taxes on the short form, so I have no point of reference. I am I first-timer to this site so I am not sure what I'm suppose to do and what will happen if I "accept". Please forgive my ignorance.
Thanks so much for answering.
Linda
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

No problem. When you accept an answer, I will be paid for helping you. If you don't, I won't. Your deposit will just sit there, unclaimed.

But back to your question, I do suggest that you call a few tax preparation services and get a quote on prices for tax amendment. I know that in our area, you can have it done for less than $200, depending on the amount of work that is involved. But this varies greatly depending on the services that you received.

Let me know if you still have questions.