Christopher Phelps
Christopher Phelps, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, CFP, PFS, Tax Practitioner 21 Years, Member AICPA/CSCPA Tax/Financial Planning Committee Member
84937

NY State Inheritance Tax

I will inherit my mother's home valued at $500,000 and $100,000 cash (in a joint account under her social security number). Will there be New York State inheritance tax on any part of it? What % would it be? Thank you.

Neither the U.S. nor NY has an inheritance tax. Thus, any inheritance you receive as a beneficiary is tax-free to you (assuming relevant estate taxes have been paid). In limited instances the U.S. and New York government may attach beneficiary inheritances where the estates were subject to estate tax and failed to pay them prior to distribution to the heirs. However, should you ever inherit a tax-deferred account such as a 401(k) or pension account, any distributions you take would be subject to income tax the same as if the decedent owner took a distribution. Of course any investment income generated by the inherited funds (once you receive it) would be subject to normal taxation.

For Federal estate tax purposes an estate of a decedent must file a Federal estate tax return if the gross fair market value of the decedents assets (and taxable gifts previously reported on form 709) as of the date of death exceeded $1,500,000 (for decedents dying in 2004 or 2005). For New York estate tax purposes for decedents dying in 2004 or 2005) the estate of a decedent must file a NY estate tax return if the gross fair market value of the decedents assets (and taxable gifts previously reported on form 709) as of the date of death exceeded $1,000,000.

If as a result of the above discourse you believe your Mother's estate may have a filing requirement, I recommend you contact a competent CPA or tax attorney to make a final determination. If a probate attorney is already handling your Mother's estate then you may want to talk with that person to make sure the matter has been addressed.

Because it is impossible for me to identify and consider ALL the relevant facts, this advice is not intended or written to be used for the purpose of avoiding penalties, and cannot be used for that purpose.

Experience: CPA, CFP, PFS, Tax Practitioner 21 Years, Member AICPA/CSCPA Tax/Financial Planning Committee Member